J. Chew: A great explanation of decoding & comprehension

This is the forum for participants of the 'PHONICS TRAINING ONLINE' course written by Debbie Hepplewhite. Participants are welcome to add their own comments. Debbie will contribute any relevant up-to-date findings, issues and developments. To find out about the course, go to: www.phonicstrainingonline.com .
debbie

J. Chew: A great explanation of decoding & comprehension

Post by debbie »

Susan Godsland has just flagged up some very good articles via two threads on the IFERI message forum - one about 'Multi-cueing' and one about 'Decoding and Comprehension' - they are actually both 'linked' topics.

Susan used Jennifer Chew's talk as an explanation of the roles of decoding and comprehension - I particularly like Jenny's explanation and therefore I am adding it here:

http://www.rrf.org.uk/archive.php?n_ID= ... eNumber=57
phonics: the holy grail of reading

Jennifer Chew

The following is the text of a talk given at the ‘Battle of Ideas’ conference organised by the Institute of Ideas on 30 October 2005. The organisers had chosen the title for this session and had asked the Queen’s English Society to choose two speakers likely to represent different viewpoints. The other speaker was Prof. Kathy Hall, of the Open University, who is president-elect of the United Kingdom Literacy Association.

I want to use the handout to show that there are two dimensions to reading: one is decoding and the other is comprehending...
Last edited by debbie on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Susan's two IFERI threads...

Post by debbie »

Debbie Hepplewhite