New WORD FLASH CARDS in all units

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

New WORD FLASH CARDS in all units

Post by debbie »

WORD FLASH CARDS

You can find this new resource on each individual unit's webpage in the SETS OF FLASH CARDS section.

This is a new strand throughout the programme's 12 units produced at the suggestion of Phonics International users.

The words on the WORD FLASH CARDS are cumulative - but I also include some words with tricky or unusual spellings which may be indicated by blue (in unit 1), red or grey colouring.

These are very much 'teaching and learning' resources as the focus graphemes (when these include more than one letter) are colour-coded to make them stand out in the words (from unit 2 onwards).

It is very important that the words are not taught as 'look and say' words (not taught as global wholes) but that the skill of sounding out and blending (synthesising) is modelled and rehearsed.

I would suggest that these flash cards are useful as 'hard copy' resources for the earlier units only - for absolute beginners - as the words are available to read and spell through other Phonics International resources such as the core SOUNDS BOOK ACTIVITY SHEETS and the MY WORD - word lists. For 'hard copy' resources, print on card or laminate paper copies.

The words can also be read 'online' or they can be projected onto white screens for whole class use.

Learners can use these resources for independent rehearsal of reading at word level. As with all other resources, they can also be used for spelling rehearsal when 'another' person reads a word, and the learner/s then segment the word and spell it with GRAPHEME TILES (or CanDoCubes or magnetic letters) or write the word.

Looking at words closely provides a good opportunity for vocabulary development. Teachers can assess the vocabulary knowledge of the learners and can also model the use of the words in simple spoken sentences.

Teachers of older students can discuss different types of 'word class' and 'homophones'.

Ultimately, familiarity with a bank of words leads to automatic word-recognition - but even this is not helpful if students do not know the meanings of the words.

I am currently developing a sentence-level strand of resources and also extending the Early Years Starter Package ACTIVITY SHEETS throughout the programme on request from Phonics International users.

Please do not hesitate to provide feedback and make your suggestions for further resources.
Debbie Hepplewhite