Can Do Cubes: Debbie sounding out - news about developments

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

Can Do Cubes: Debbie sounding out - news about developments

Post by debbie »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px2kiIK_ ... e=youtu.be

A short section from the DVD of the 'Can Do Cubes for synthetic phonics' has now been added to youtube.

I wrote this succinct programme/product for Michael Hughes of Can Do Education several years ago. An excellent designer, Ollie Roberts, translated my ideas and Michael's ideas into a wonderful product, and Michael has since developed the cubes further.

Michael has now added numbers on to each face of the 'Stage One' cubes and the sounds (shown in slash marks) on to the 'Stage Two' cubes.

He has also completely redesigned the way that both the 'Stage One' (simple code) and 'Stage Two' (complex code) are stored and marked in the boxes - and he now provides both stages of cubes in one complete set.

These additions on to the cubes and the re-organised presenting are significant improvements.

They fit really well with the Phonics International programme and my approach of 'two-pronged systematic and incidental' phonics provision.

They make an ideal resource for individuals, for small group work, for mainstream and special needs - and actually for learners of all ages.

As they are made from plain hardwood - the letter shapes are engraved and sit on an engraved 'writing line', these are not babyish looking cubes.

The cubes can also be used with any other phonics programme for both systematic and incidental use.

I highly recommend these newly organised cubes. They make a perfect complementary resource to our series of 8 eBooks for use in homes or schools. Whereas the books are clearly a paper-based resource, the cubes provide a great tactile resource especially helpful for spelling practices.

A further signifcant development for the cubes is that Michael now produces the cubes in the 'ball and stick' font which is commonly used in America and in some parts of Australia.

Learners need to be able to read a range of different fonts - but there may be school or regional policies about the style in which learners first learn to write.
Last edited by debbie on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... C3X2E6yZVg

Here's a funky short clip of both the phonics cubes and the grammar cubes from Can Do Cubes!

PS: This video clip does not show the new, revised cubes with the additional numbers and sounds shown in slash marks.
Debbie Hepplewhite