Brand new 'Grouping the Spelling Alternatives' Posters

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

Brand new 'Grouping the Spelling Alternatives' Posters

Post by debbie »

'GROUPING THE SPELLING ALTERNATIVES' POSTERS:

This is a brand new strand in development and, so far, the unit 1 free poster has been uploaded for 'c', 'k' and '-ck'.

You will find this at the bottom of your list of resources in the free unit 1 (module 1). :wink:

This latest strand of posters will complement your main THE ALPHABETIC CODE OVERVIEW CHART and your ALPHABETIC CODE FRIEZE POSTERS.

As new spelling alternatives are introduced, these posters will support teachers to revise and build upon previous learning whilst reinforcing the concept of 'multiple spellings' for the 44+ sounds of speech. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I have decided to provide the 'Grouping the Spelling Alternatives' posters as a double strand.

One set of posters will include the key pictures, and the other set will have no pictures.

This means that learners will be able to do a drawing (and colouring) activity to focus on the concept of grouping the alternative spellings and also to help them learn the alternative graphemes through a personal drawing mnemonic. :wink:

In effect, these two strands will provide both visual teaching/learning aids and an additional activity which will reinforce the teaching by providing an active learning opportunity.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

There are now 'Grouping the Spelling Alternatives' Posters in units 1, 2 and 3 - and an additional strand with the activity sheet equivalent where the learner draws the illustrations for the key words as a kinaesthetic opportunity to remember the Alphabetic Code information.

The spelling alternatives included per poster are as follows:

Unit 1

c (cat), k (kit), -ck (duck)

Unit 2

-f (feathers), -ff (cliff)

l (ladder), -ll (shell), -le (kettle)

m (map), -me (welcome)

s (snake), -ss (glass)

u (umbrella), o (son)

ai (aid), ay (tray), a (table)

-ie (tie), -igh (night), i (behind)

oa (oak), ow (bow), o (yo-yo)

Unit 3

z (zebra), -zz (jazz), -s (fries), -se (cheese), -ze (breeze)

e (egg), ea (head)

ee (eel), ea (eat), e (emu)

w (web), wh (wheel)

Of course teachers may choose not to use these Posters - or they may choose to use either the strand which is illustrated already, or the strand where the learner illustrates the sheets as an activity - or both (for example: the illustrated one for visual display to be introduced preferably when the teaching is focused on the notion of 'spelling alternatives' followed by learners illustrating their own 'poster' which could then be 'taken home' and displayed on a pinboard or kept in a clipfile).
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Unit 4 Posters are now uploaded as follows (also the activity sheets which match the Posters):

ee (eel), ea (eat), e (emu), -y (sunny)

oo (book), oul (should)

v (violin), -ve (dove)

x (fox), -ks (books), -cks (ducks), -kes (cakes)
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Unit 5

oo (moon), -ue (blue)

oi (ointment), oy (toy)

ou (ouch), ow (owl)

s (snake), -ss (glass), -se (house), -ce (palace)

u (unicorn), -ue (statue)

Both strands now uploaded! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Unit 6

ee (eel), ea (eat), e (emu), -y (sunny), e-e (concrete)

ie (tie), -igh (night), i (behind), -y (shy), i-e (bike)

j (jug), -ge (cabbage), g (giraffe)

ai (aid), ay (tray), a (table), -ae (sundae), a-e (cakes)

air (hair), -are (hare), -ear (bear), -ere (where)

eer (deer), ear (ears), -ere (adhere), -ier (cashier)

er (mermaid), ir (birthday), ur (nurse), ear (earth), wor (world)
-er (mixer), -our (humour), -re (theatre), -ar (collar), -or (sailor)

oo (moon), -ue (blue), u-e (flute)

s (snake), -ss (glass), -se (house), -ce (palace), c (city)

u (unicorn), -ue (statue), u-e (tube)

Both strands uploaded. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

You can now see the 'cumulative' format of these posters.

You can also use the Grouping the Spelling Alternatives Posters (without the illustrations) to write lists of words in the columns instead of drawing the pictures.

Note that there are already grids with columns that can be used as a resource for building up lists of words with the same sounds and spellings in the Sounds Book Activity Sheets strand from unit 6 onwards. The Grouping the Spelling Alternative Posters, however, have larger font graphemes heading up the columns - and they are available right from the beginning of the programme.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Unit 7

b (bat), -bb- (rabbit), bu (buildings)

c (cat), k (kit), -ck (duck), ch (chameleon)

ch (chairs), -tch (patch), -ture (picture)

g (girl), -gg- (juggle), gu (guitar), -gue (catalogue)

j (jug), -ge (cabbage), g (giraffe), -dge (fridge)

-le (kettle), -il (pencil), -al (hospital), -el (camel)

m (map), -mm- (hammer), -me (welcome), -mb (thumb)

n (net), -nn- (bonnet), kn (knot), -ne (engine)

or (fork), oar (oars), -oor (door), ore (snore), -our (four)
aw (dawn), au (sauce), -al (chalk)

r (rat), -rr- (arrow), wr (write), rh (rhinoceros)

s (snake), -ss (glass), -se (house), -ce (palace)
c (city), sc (scissors)

Now uploaded plus strand with no illustrations.
Debbie Hepplewhite
sibel

hello everyone

Post by sibel »

I would lıke to let everyone know that I have spent 2 days wıth Debbie Hepplewhıte and have learned tremoundous amount of knowledge and understanding once again why synthetıc phonics is important to use in classooms.I will use ın Turkey to teach my chıldren.

Thanks Debbie you are a great person.I have so much respect for you.

I will intend to follow your ideas which you used in the classroom with year 1 and 2.

Early years teacher in Turkey.

Sibel[/list]
debbie

Post by debbie »

Bless you, Sibel, for your kind words.

It was such a delight to meet you and your sister, Suna, and I have to say that I gained some good ideas from you when you described some of the synthetic phonics work you have been doing with your pupils!

I hope you will continue to use the Phonics International message board to describe how your pupils respond to the synthetic phonics teaching and the resources. :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

PS: Sibel and Suna visited the school where I am a part-time teacher. They gave the children the most fabulous geography lesson all about Turkey. The children loved it and I learnt loads myself.

Exchanges like this are wonderful in my opinion and can only help international relationships for adults and children alike. We are planning to get our respective pupils writing to one another in the future. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

The Grouping the Spelling Alternatives Posters and the corresponding activity sheets are now uploaded in units 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12. :D

These are great resources for the building up of The Alphabetic Code over time and they allow for plenty of revision.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

We've just added three more GROUPING THE SPELLING ALTERNATIVE POSTERS in unit 12:

Final posters for the focus sounds of /s/, /o/ and /m/.

I don't know why I 'missed' these in the first place - there must have been some distraction when I was designing them! :oops:

For existing users of the programme - please check your printed versions of this poster range - you may want to download the new posters to add to your bank.

This range of posters is one of my favourite resources - I find them very useful when teaching and they really help to remind learners what they have been taught before and how this all fits in with The Alphabetic Code Overview Chart! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite