Working with Universities to support with phonics training

This forum is open for anyone to add their experiences, queries and to describe their training needs. Please feel free to use this forum for anything at all to do with training.
debbie

Working with Universities to support with phonics training

Post by debbie »

I'm so very delighted to be working with several universities in the UK - with further interest expressed for liaison with some universities overseas.

I've provided keynote introductions to conferences and phonics workshops for some time in various universities - and it is noteworthy that interest is increasing.

Invariably, following keynote talks and workshops, people can see that one hour slots are really not sufficient for me to be as informative and supportive as I could be. Ideally, to make the most of my expertise, I really need a minimum of a full day because I struggle to know what to 'leave out' of my training events when pushed for time!

Abigail Steel is also working with universities increasingly. Abigail is a member of our Synthetic Phonics Training team and her support has also been very well-received.

A number of UK universities have asked our permission to use the Alphabetic Code Chart that I designed for student-teachers in their published literature:

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/Tra ... 20Code.pdf

The chart above is on our Free Resources webpage with many other great resources and information which will help student-teachers.

We have also received very appreciative feedback regarding the informative and supportive nature of the Phonics International programme and website for training student-teachers including offers of writing us reports to that effect to share on the website itself.

It is a real pleasure working with personnel from the universities for the benefit of student-teachers.

We have found that these universities work extremely closely with local schools - and staff from the local schools are invariably invited to attend any talks and workshops that we've provided alongside the student-teachers.

It's very gratifying to work so cooperatively with university tutors, student-teachers and local teachers. Thank you so much to those people it's been my pleasure to meet thus far. Keep up the good work! :D

May I just add a reminder that we provide a student-teachers' three-year licence for the full Phonics International programme which is only £15. This is just the cost of a text book and is surely something that is worthy of considering! Phonics International supports the acquisition of professional knowledge and understanding of the alphabetic code and the teaching of reading, spelling and handwriting - but it also provides a huge bank of material which can be used across the age-ranges to support student-teachers with their teaching practices.
Debbie Hepplewhite