Phoneme handwriting sheets

katherine12

Phoneme handwriting sheets

Post by katherine12 »

Hi

I have been using the brilliant Sounds Book Activity Sheets supplemented with handwriting sheets from other websites like Activity Village, as my 5-year old finds them useful to practice with - she gets very frustrated if she doesn't get things right first time and so having the dotted lines enables her to get them right everytime, if you see what I mean. I know not everyone agrees with using tracing sheets, but it works for us - something must go in when she practices the shapes over and over.

We have one problem though - sites like Activity Village only produce sheets to reflect the alphabet and not the full list of english phonemes - so I can't print off a sheet for /sh/. Also I can't seem to download the Jardotty font onto my computer and my printer doesn't seem to want me to print letters in grey (as an alternative to a dotted traceable font) it will only print black, so I can't make my own sheets (unless I do them by hand).

Does anyone know of a site, or Debbie are you going to produce, handwriting sheets in traceable font for all the phonemes, not just the alphabet?

many thanks

Katherine
debbie

Post by debbie »

Hi Katherine,

I'm so pleased to hear from you with reference to the new handwriting website!

I'm very interested to hear what you would find helpful for your daughter.

I have various resources ready to be uploaded on the handwriting website including a bank of material based on all the spelling alternatives written in joined handwriting.

You will find many new handwriting resources forthcoming for both print writing and joined handwriting and I can definitely respond to suggestions to make further resources over time.

Bear with me - but be reassured more goodies are on the way. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
katherine12

Post by katherine12 »

thanks Debbie :-)

At the moment we are just doing print letters, we haven't tackled joined yet.

I have had trouble finding handwriting practice sheets that I like even for the individual alphabet letters. For example with the letter 't' I have only been able to find ones where it looks like a crucifix, ie the t's don't curve up at the end, so they don't look like the ones she sees on the SBAS's, or on the flashcards we have.

I am so used to finding anything I need by googling it that this has been quite frustrating!!

When you say 'all' the spelling alternatives, do you mean ALL the spelling alternatives or all the ones on your charts (I know that the charts are designed for discovery too). It's just I have been wondering if there is a more or less definitive list of all the english graphemes? (I am curious to know how many there are as I have seen estimates of between 175 and 400 and I have got a bit train-spotterish about it....)

thanks again

katherine
debbie

Post by debbie »

Have you seen the additional handwriting practice sheets via the Unit 2 webpage of the Phonics International programme?

They are based on alphabet letters and not the alphabetic code per se but they might prove useful for simple 'extra' practice.
Debbie Hepplewhite
katherine12

Post by katherine12 »

Thanks Debbie

I am a big fan of the multi-sensory approach to learning and feel that the process of practicing writing the basic code for each phoneme is a very good way to help internalise both the code and the principles behind it.

Also, she is now used to getting a practice sheet for each phoneme and it's nice for her to have something she can go away and do independently.

I think I will have to be patient and wait for the new handwriting resources !!

thanks again

Katherine
debbie

Post by debbie »

I'm on the case!

I'll provide some 'plainer' ones and ones with the Phonics International key pictures and word examples.

Are there any graphemes in particular that you want at first?

I ask this because there are many graphemes so I could always focus on your daughter's needs now and build up more over time! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
katherine12

Post by katherine12 »

bless you! that's brilliant, especially with a picture

I think I would say sh, ch, th ng to begin with.

many thanks

Katherine
debbie

Post by debbie »

I'll do my best to get on with that!

Making resources is the 'light relief' part of my work! :D
Debbie Hepplewhite