Graphemes '-re' and '-er' added to unit 6 Sounds Book sheets

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

Post by debbie »

The grapheme '-re' is currently the 'last' grapheme of the Phonics International programme!

With more thought, however, I decided that it was just as valid to add it to the 'schwa er' section along with 'er' and 'our' in unit 6.

Learners will encounter words such as 'centre' and 'theatre' and 'metre' from young ages.

So, although '-re' IS addressed later in the programme with a wider vocabulary bank, it is now also introduced at the end of the unit 6 Sounds Book activity sheet strand.

With American spelling in mind, I have also included an additional sheet headed '-er'. This is an incomplete sheet to which teachers will need to add their own spelling examples as required.

Words such as 'center' and 'theater', for example, are spelt differently in American English.

At all times in the programme, teachers are free to adjust spellings and letter/s-sound correspondences to fit their own requirements according to their own accents and needs.

This need not be an issue for teachers because it is actually a teaching point in itself that accents and English spellings vary across the world.

As yet, however, there is NO equivalent I can read text to match these new correspondence additions in unit 6. The text level material for '-re' is in unit 12.
Debbie Hepplewhite