Black & White code chart for US/Canada?

Any questions/comments/observations relating to the educational content of the programme can be posted here. Any 'technical' problems to the 'Technical Problems' forum please.

Moderators: admin, debbie

jennie

Black & White code chart for US/Canada?

Post by jennie »

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/uni ... _giant.pdf

I have been using the above chart for the purpose of showing the students how much of the code they have learned; they color in boxes as they progress. But, because this is the UK version of the code, I have to make a number of modifications. Someday I would love to see a US/Canada version of this, with or without the key pictures. (The code chart that is available for US/Canada is all colored in and therefore not useful for this particular purpose.)

The format of the code chart below would also be an option for this purpose.

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/uni ... 20A4x7.pdf
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/uni ... _chart.pdf

Hi Jennie,

You have really pricked my conscience as I do need to provide a variety of charts for US/Canadian users to give them the kind of scope of use you are describing.

Do you prefer your chart for tracking purposes to be the 'giant' sized - or would it be better slightly smaller to put into your students' clip folders for example?

One of my favourite charts is the one via the link above. This is very handy for students' use and is also still very readable when printed at half size - which means it can be printed as just two sheets.

I can produce it without the grey shading if preferred.

Please bear with me because I have had an exceedingly busy patch recently but will soon have more time to attend to producing alternative resources. Your request is now at the top of my list.

Thank you, also, for describing your use of one of the alphabetic code charts so others can see how beneficial the different versions are for different purposes.

All the best,

Debbie
Debbie Hepplewhite
jennie

Post by jennie »

Yes, Debbie, the chart you link to would be perfect for the purpose.

And, yes, a chart without the gray/grey :D shading would be lovely.

The smaller size for use in the students' folders is what I have in mind.

Thanks in advance!

Jennie
debbie

Post by debbie »

You're very welcome - but my actions will speak louder than my words! LOL!

I'll do my best asap!
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

See the Alphabetic Code Charts' website for all the current free versions of the charts:

www.alphabeticcodecharts.com

I still haven't made a small version of the USA/Canadian chart, but users can always print off the 'giant' charts as 'multiples per page' to get smaller versions for pupils' folders. :oops:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://alphabeticcodecharts.com/free_charts.html

Scroll down to the bottom of this page of free Alphabetic Code Charts and you can see that there is now a much wider range of charts for the USA/Canadian accents including different versions of 'mini' charts.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I just received a question about the US/Canadian version of the Alphabetic Code Charts:

Can you tell me the significance of the Gray and White boxes on the English Alphabetic Chart in Gray and White Chart (US/Canadian version).

On the first line of the chart which is the /s/ sound: the snake, glass, palace and house boxes are gray the remaining boxes on that line are white.

Thank you so much for providing the Alphabetic Chart on your website it has really helped me make sense of the complex English language.

And here is my answer...
Thank you for your kind words about my Alphabetic Code Charts helping you to make sense of the complex English language. I certainly wish that I had had something like this many years ago as a learner, then a teacher and a parent!

You have asked a really good question.

The grey and white boxes are designed to break up the many spelling alternatives into a 'stage one' and 'stage two' approach.

The grey boxes are for the letter/s-sound correspondences that I introduce in Units 1 to 5 of my Phonics International programme.

I break up the alphabetic code into 12 colour-coded units of work which can be seen on other examples of my Alphabetic Code Charts.

On the plainer charts that you refer to, however, I simply group the earliest letter/s-sound correspondences together with the grey background.

I hope this helps.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions.
Debbie Hepplewhite