'Hear the Sounds' video clip on the PI homepage and YouTube

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

'Hear the Sounds' video clip on the PI homepage and YouTube

Post by debbie »

We have uploaded a free video clip where I 'say the sounds' for which I provide teaching and learning resources in the Phonics International programme.

In this first video, I generally provide one main spelling (exemplar word) for each sound spoken - pictures are included.

I describe that a 'phoneme' is the smallest identifiable sound in spoken English words.

However, not ALL the sounds I model are phonemes.

This is explained fully in the PI programme's materials but not on the video clip. I deliberately did not want the video clip to sound over-technical and off-putting.

So, the graphemes (letters) and 'units of sound' which are not just single phonemes are:

'qu' which is two phonemes /k+w/

'-nk' which is two phonemes /ng+k/

'-ue' which is two phonemes /y+oo/

'x' which is two phonemes /k+s/

The video we are currently making is a similar formula - except that I 'say' and we show the exemplar words with all the spelling alternatives as provided on my KEY PICTURES ALPHABETIC CODE OVERVIEW CHART - available in the free unit 1 via the homepage:

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/uni ... 0chart.pdf

This video may need to be divided into 2 video clips because there is slightly over ten minutes filming.

I am sure these videos will be very helpful to parents and teachers who are not confident about 'the sounds' - especially where English is not the main language. :D

We shall continue producing video clips to provide more and more information and training online. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite