Reducing the I CAN READ texts to half-size

How inventive are you with your Phonics International resources - what works for you?
debbie

Reducing the I CAN READ texts to half-size

Post by debbie »

True to my principle of 'layering' the content of the teaching and learning -to allow for rehearsal, revision and consolidation, I recently started to use the I CAN READ texts with a Year Two group of children (age 6 to 7) from previously learnt units.

I wanted to use the I CAN READ text level material for revision and spelling dictations.

At the time (and this is very embarrassing), I was putting two A4 pages side by side on the school's photocopier and using the 'reduce' facility to make A4 sheets include two consecutive texts per page.

These children did not need large 'font' as on the original I CAN READ texts.

Of course, I have now discovered the facility to print multiple copies of any resource with Adobe Reader (as I have just described on my previous thread) which means that I can easily print off very crisp, original copies of the I CAN READ texts in a miniature version! I wish I had realised this before (I'm not an expert on computers!).

Anyway, I used these texts by making up 'booklets' of several I CAN READ texts at a time.

The children were allowed to use these in school and at home to do what I call 'self-dictations'.

This is a wonderful way of learners working at their own pace. It can work from a very early age (when learners can 'read' and hold the words 'in their heads' so that they can then have a go at writing them down).

Each learner reads the text a couple of times, then returns to the beginning and takes one sentence (or phrase if the sentence is too long), and re-writes the sentence without looking at the words - only checking back to the sentence if words are 'forgotten'. Teachers can decide 'per pupil' how much of the text to tackle in terms of the self-dictation.

If necessary, the learner can even check over their spellings on completion of the self-dictation to look for errors.

This really does lead to an amazing amount of personal concentration - allows for 'differentiation' within class and group settings, and really encourages learners to be engaged with their own learning.

There is nothing worse that teachers giving dictations which, in effect, can only go as slow as the slowest writer - or leaves some learners behind to 'feel bad' about getting confused and not keeping up with peers.

Anyway - regarding font size - if your learners don't need a larger font, or if they are older and find it patronising to work from larger font, you always have the option with modern equipment of reducing the font size on the text level material!

It also saves on paper when mass-producing booklets for whole classes.

Remember, however, that the larger font size is helpful for beginners and/or for young children, and for learners whose eyesight is poor.

PS - I am aware that with this type of re-writing exercise, the learner is also able to use visual memory to help with the spelling. Teachers can plan to do more traditional dictations as well where learners do not get to 'see' the writing beforehand. Teachers need to use their own discretion for the balance of activities according to their own circumstances.
Debbie Hepplewhite