Phonics Training for KS 2, 3 and 4 in Newcastle

This forum is open for anyone to add their experiences, queries and to describe their training needs. Please feel free to use this forum for anything at all to do with training.
debbie

Phonics Training for KS 2, 3 and 4 in Newcastle

Post by debbie »

I have long since advocated the need for all teachers to be trained in the knowledge and understanding of the complex English alphabetic code and the phonics skills involved for reading and spelling. Teachers in Key Stage 2 are not equipped, and do not feel equipped, if they are not provided with comprehensive professional understanding of the written code, how it is best taught explicity (and incidentally alongside as I advocate), and how they can build on teaching and learning in the infants, and provide intervention, catch up, or brush up, if necessary - regardless of the ages of the learners.

I always appreciate hearing from people following my training events - whether immediately or in the longer term. Everywhere I go I invite people to keep in touch and, of course, some do!

Teaching is a pretty tough job and it can be very draining but also wonderfully rewarding. Sometimes it is as much the inspiration of meeting up with fellow travellers in the field that can be an invaluable aspect of CPD! For example...
Hi Debbie,

Thank you ever so much for the fantastic training yesterday! I feel so inspired to teach the programme and can't wait to start.

It was brilliant to have the opportunity to speak to you afterwards and I came away feeling even more determined and passionate about what I want to do (and a bit more confident in myself!). I would love to keep in contact and once I've developed my phonics practice further, I would be interested in the video idea, or anything similar, as this could also be an interesting thing to do in terms of my CPD.

I'm really excited to begin browsing the resources and can't wait to put it all into practice.
Debbie Hepplewhite