Error On Sounds Page

This is where you post any technical based problems, i.e., difficulty in accessing the site, unable to access a particular programme unit, problems with downloads etc. Please check the FAQs section before posting here.

Moderator: admin

TeacherHelen

Error On Sounds Page

Post by TeacherHelen »

Hi Debbie,

I am not sure if you are aware but there appears to be a slight error on Unit 1 sounds page.

The sounds /c/ and /ck/ are both represented by the letter /k/

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/hea ... unds_1.htm

Best regards,
Teacher Helen
debbie

Post by debbie »

Hi Teacher Helen,

The sound is always shown in 'slash marks', and the sound /k/ is the same in words like 'cat', 'kit' and 'duck'.

The sound stays the same - shown as /k/ - and it is the graphemes (letters or letter groups) which change.

So, in Unit 1, the sound /k/ is represented by the graphemes c, k and ck in various word examples.

I hope this helps.

Debbie
:)
Debbie Hepplewhite
TeacherHelen

Apologies

Post by TeacherHelen »

Thank you Debbie,
I should have known better.

Regards,
Teacher Helen
debbie

Post by debbie »

Not really, Teacher Helen - this is not notation that teachers are necessarily trained in at all.

You will also find much confusion in the wider phonics publishing domain regarding 'what' is shown in the slash marks. Slash marks are often used liberally in just the way you thought they maybe should be used (enclosing the graphemes, that is, the spelling alternatives) - so you are not at all alone in what you thought!
Debbie Hepplewhite