Debbie's new handwriting website - at last!

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

Debbie's new handwriting website - at last!

Post by debbie »

Well folks - I can't begin to describe how excited and delighted I am with the launch of my new handwriting website!

This has been long awaited for as I discovered, through experience, some great tips for teaching joined handwriting many years ago - and have been wanting to share these ideas on a larger scale than individual school-by-school.

My sincere thanks to Carol Cockeram (see posting below for full information) for her painstaking work in designing e-resources for both my preferred 'print' handwriting style (for beginners and infants) and my 'teaching' joined handwriting style! For me this is like a dream-come-true.

Carol's skill has enabled me to create and provide e-resources to support teachers, tutors and parents to teach learners/pupils/children/students learn or improve their handwriting.

I appreciate that I promote specific handwriting styles and teaching approach - and that this may well not be to everyone's taste or handwriting policy. Nevertheless, aspects of what I write - for example, about correct pencil-hold, good sitting posture, writing 'under' words and not 'above - are generic to all handwriting activities.

My concern has grown over the years having visited many schools and even viewed many video-clips where learners are more-often-than-not sitting with very poor posture, holding the writing implements with very ungainly - even bizarre- grips, and writing, in effect, from 'above' the words and not 'below'.

To make matters worse, here in England schools are increasingly removing desks from early years and infant classes - and children are being taught to write sitting, or even lying, on the floor with mini-whiteboards or with clip-boards. Whilst there is some room for quick-fire phonics/writing activities and play-activities with these conditions, this is not fit-for-purpose for teaching the best handwriting for life-long writing skills.

I have made sure that there is good free information and ample free resources available via my handwriting website for those people who think the handwriting styles and teaching approach suit their scenario.

www.debbiehepplewhitehandwriting.com

Please do let me know if you have success with my suggestions or if you have any questions or comments! :wink:

See the new 'handwriting' forum for your handwriting-specific messages!
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

At the time of making this posting, Carol and Rob have yet to upload the information about my specific handwriting fonts on to their website but this should be available shortly. School-teachers may be interested in acquiring the programmes for my print and joined-handwriting fonts if they wish to make posters and notices for their school in the same handwriting styles that they are teaching the pupils.

A number of schools in England have already changed their handwriting policy to my joined-handwriting style to great immediate effect! The first big step is for the staff members themselves to learn the style so that they can model it throughout their board-work and marking! :wink:
Where can you get my print and joined handwriting fonts?

Rob and Carol Cockeram provide an amazing personalised service to supply schools with their preferred fonts. Carol has created software programmes so that schools can use my styles when producing their own school resources.

Please note: Take great care when you use the joined font programme in your school that you show the words joined-up correctly!

Contact Rob or Carol via their website at:

www.cursivewriting.org
Last edited by debbie on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Some student-teachers have also find the information at www.debbiehepplewhitehandwriting.com helpful as their universities have not provided training in teaching handwriting - perhaps because 'handwriting policy' is the domain of the individual schools.
Debbie Hepplewhite