Reading Reform Foundation Conference Oct 14th 2011

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Reading Reform Foundation Conference Oct 14th 2011

Post by debbie »

http://rrf.org.uk/messageforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4862

Being held in London - this will be of interest for anyone who is very keen on synthetic phonics teaching and teacher-training!

See you there! :lol:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.education.gov.uk/inthenews/s ... conference

Schools Minister, Nick Gibb, speaks at the Reading Reform Foundation conference:

I’d like to start by thanking the experts I have worked with over the last five years, people like Ruth Miskin, Jennifer Chew, Sue Lloyd, Debbie Hepplewhite and others.

I am profoundly grateful to them and to all of you for teaching me and the children in your care so much about reading. Thanks to your patience, perseverance and passion at the most vital stage of a child’s education, hundreds of thousands of pupils have taken their first successful step in a lifetime of education.

The Government is determined to improve the teaching of reading in schools, and close the gap in attainment between the wealthiest and poorest pupils. We want to help all children, from all backgrounds, to become fluent and enthusiastic readers. Only once children have learnt to read, can they read to learn.

We already know how to tackle reading failure. High-quality international evidence has proved that systematic teaching of synthetic phonics is the best way to drive up standards in reading. Taught as part of a language rich curriculum, systematic synthetic phonics allows problems to be identified early and rectified before it is too late.

I'll post more information about the Reading Reform Foundation in due course.

Some filming took place at the conference and further talks may be available for anyone interested in events.

I spoke about the need for an Alphabetic Code Chart in every classroom and universal understanding of the 'alphabetic code' as shown on a core visual chart.

In a break-out workshop, I also promoted the advantages of 'two-pronged systematic and incidental synthetic phonics teaching' for which I'll shortly provide a link to the paper I prepared.

We are eternally grateful for the support of Nick Gibb. He has done more than any other politician to learn about synthetic phonics and to further its promotion in our schools. :D

Thank you, also, to the RRF committee members who worked so hard to provide the conference, to OUP for its kind sponsorship - and to all the people who attended.

We had record numbers of people travelling from overseas especially for the RRF conference. I'll post more about the attendees later, too. :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
jennie

Post by jennie »

How fabulous that the U.K. has a major politician who understands the core components of effective reading instruction. I wish I could have been there. I am eagerly awaiting information about the various talks.
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://rrf.org.uk/messageforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4862

If you scroll down the thread above on the UK Reading Reform Foundation message board, all the links to the various talks on youtube are available.

Particularly heartwarming is the talk about developments of synthetic phonics teaching in Nigeria through the 'Stepping Stones' project. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite