Have you provided 'in-house' training in your school?

This forum is open for anyone to add their experiences, queries and to describe their training needs. Please feel free to use this forum for anything at all to do with training.
debbie

Have you provided 'in-house' training in your school?

Post by debbie »

I'm encouraging people to write about their 'in-house' training experiences to share with other people.

You may not be a recognised 'Phonics International' per se, but you may have been pleased to use PI resources - or tips picked up from the website and message forum - for training and sharing methodology with colleagues. If this is the case, please do tell us how things went, what you would need to help you further, responses of friends and colleagues - or parents of pupils in your school.

Phonics International has been designed to enable people to 'train' as they use the resources - you can 'pick up and run' with the core SOUNDS BOOK ACTIVITY SHEETS and the fact that the resources for teaching, learning and assessment are truly step by step and content-rich, should make the teaching and learning explicit once people are familiar with the set-up of the 12 units' webpages.

Please describe resources you have found particularly helpful to support your training and, also, make requests for resources that you feel you 'need' that don't yet exist!

Remember that Phonics International is a constantly developing programme!

It is also designed to work in partnership with parents when you are in a school or tutoring scenario. If you are not informing parents about the English Alphabetic Code and the 3 core skills, then you need to consider how best to build this into the delivery of the teaching.

Not all parents will respond, or be interested, in the information you provide, but, as school teachers and tutors, you will have discharged your duty by providing information.

In any event, at least some parents will be very interested and they will really add to the teaching and learning and be very pleased to work in partnership! :wink:

Please do contribute to this message forum!!!!! :!:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I have just had a delightful weekend meeting an amazing lady, Grace Vilar, along with our lovely PI trainer based in Spain, Coral George.

Grace is Head of Primary in an international school in Argentina. Both Grace and Coral are Synthetic Phonics Consultants in their countries and have already undertaken several years of ground-breaking training of teachers in their respective countries by introducing the Jolly Phonics programme for younger learners.

They are now looking to encourage whole primary school approaches in synthetic phonics teaching as a reading, spelling and writing continuum.

We are going to work together trialling Phonics International in schools where Spanish is the first language and English is the second. There may be additional resources and there will be invaluable advice that the experience of these ladies can bring to the PI programme and message forum.

Through Coral's work, we now have pilot schools in Spain and Grace's school will be piloting the Phonics International programme in Argentina, building on from the great foundations provided by the Jolly Phonics programme.

We shall shortly have a 'news event' feature on the PI homepage with links to Grace's school and her website which will provide many video clips of children's progress.

This is such a strange coincidence - I had only just been appealing to my PI trainer friends and contacts for photos and video clips of students' work when Grace arrived at my house to meet me with a camera in one hand and a camcorder in the other - and her laptop slung over her shoulder! This lady is a walking 'cameraman' - and I am aiming to follow her footsteps to catch teaching and learning in progress to share with others and, hopefully, to inform and to inspire! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite