reading comprehension

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
pdwroe

reading comprehension

Post by pdwroe »

I'm really hoping that someone maight be able to give me some help. I have a pupil who comes to me because of his poor comprehension skills. The scenario is this:
L is 9 yrs 7 months, and on the Burt reading test is scoring 9 months ahead of age (10y 4m), and on the schonell spelling is scoring 11 months ahead of age (10y 6m). He completed the Ruth Miskin nonsense word test correctly all the way to the end! So mechanically his reading is absolutely fine.

He literally seems to read a sentence and not absorb / internalise any of it. He can't remember stuff about what he has read, and cannot even complete the easiest of information retrieval questions.

I'm a bit stumped as I haven't come across this before. I was hoping someone might have some ideas that could shed some light, or suggest some more tests I could try out with him to get a bigger picture. Any advice would be very gratefully received.
:D
Susan

Post by Susan »

Could it be 'hyperlexia'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperlexia
pdwroe

Post by pdwroe »

Thank you for that link, it is interesting reading. I need to check a bit more with mum and dad, but at first glance I would say its probably not , as his communication and socail skills appear to be quite good. Thanks very much for your help. :)