More fun reducing posters with the printer!

How inventive are you with your Phonics International resources - what works for you?
debbie

More fun reducing posters with the printer!

Post by debbie »

I've really enjoyed experimenting with making resources from reducing their size via the printer.

I've made several different sized cards from reducing the ALPHABETIC CODE FRIEZE POSTERS and then reducing the MINI POSTERS - and lightly sticking the reduced 'Mini Posters' onto the back of the reduced 'Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters' before laminating!

For example, I printed off the Frieze Posters as 4 multiples per sheet. The I printed off the Mini Posters as 6 multiples per sheet.

Then I cut out the Mini Posters (smaller than the Frieze Posters), lightly glued them on the back of the Frieze Posters - then laminated and cut out final cards.

Another example was that I created 'multiples' per page of the EARLY YEARS STARTER PACKAGE ALPHABETIC CODE FRIEZE POSTERS and then stuck smaller versions of the GRAPHEME TILES (as matching graphemes) on the back - and then laminated.

I used a glue-stick for lightly glueing the smaller pieces - they only need enough glue to be held in place rather than firmly 'stuck'. The laminating process sticks all the bits together.

This may well be too fiddly for some people to bother with - but other people may enjoy this type of activity (as I do :oops: )!

Even if you just reduced the size of these Posters and didn't bother with glueing anything 'on the back' of the cards, they still make excellent cards and look delightful. Learners would enjoy using them to learn the graphemes and read the exemplar words.

Some learners who particularly struggle to keep up in class may well benefit from cards such as these to have 'at home' for extra study.

The beauty of the ALPHABETIC CODE FRIEZE POSTERS reduced to make smaller cards, is that the key information is written on the bottom for teachers and parents to understand and repeat. This is especially helpful when English is an additional language. :)
Debbie Hepplewhite
jennie

Post by jennie »

The ability to use the printer set-up page to put multiple pages on one sheet of paper is something I only just recently discovered. But I thought it was limited to 2/page until I read through these posts of yours, Debbie.
Six or more to a page! That's great.

Being fairly new to laminating, I hadn't thought of double-siding the pages I laminate. I will now always utilize both sides when laminating. What a savings.

Jennie
debbie

Post by debbie »

I make whatever I glue 'on the back' slightly smaller than the main item.

This means that the laminating process does its job to glue everything together 'solidly'.

It also means that you can 'cut out' on the original border of the main item with certainty that the two items will not 'separate' with use.

That is why I reduced my ALPHABETIC CODE FRIEZE POSTERS to four a page, whilst reducing the MINI POSTERS to six a page - as I wanted that 'border' of space around the MINI POSTERS.

As I said, not everyone will want to do fiddly-making - but at least people have an option.

I think that the MINI POSTERS on their own would make handy sets of cards to have in classrooms!

Bear in mind that the whole Phonics International programme is designed very comprehensively but also to be used 'flexibly'.

Also, as long as teachers DO use the core SOUNDS BOOK ACTIVITY SHEETS as a minimum, they can always build up further resources over time. :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite