Coffee quotes

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
pdwroe

Coffee quotes

Post by pdwroe »

A friend and I were having coffee this afternoon and mulling over the report into childhood unhappiness. We were discussing the fact that so many educated women are being forced into work, when actually they would really be great at staying at home and giving their children a good start in life.
My friend quoted something which I just wanted to share:

If you educate a man, you educate a man;
If you educate a woman you educate a whole family. :)

Maybe the government need to think about this when they constantly go on about getting people into work - :idea: what about affording well-educated, intelligent, caring women the opportunity to stay at home and look after their children for a few years?
debbie

Post by debbie »

- or 'any' mother!
Debbie Hepplewhite
pdwroe

Post by pdwroe »

Yes, quite right!! Sorry I wasn't meaning that to sound as though only educated mothers should be paid to stay at home! I believe that all mothers (or fathers) should have the choice to stay at home and look after their children. It was more to do with the lunacy of the situation in England at the moment, where the government are saying that they want childminders to be educated to degree level, yet lots of mothers who are educated to degree level cannot stay at home with their children.
It all seems very topsy turvy to me.
I want my childminder to be a happy, caring, friendly, "mumsy" kind of person - not someone who is stressed out by paperwork and observations and ridiculous red tape. I want her home to be a loving family environment thats warm and safe and has a reasonable range of things to do - not like a sterile safety mad padded cell. I would say exactly the same about more formal Early Years settings as well.
How can children be happy if the staff are stressed, undervalued, overworked etc etc?
When will this end?