DfE: Standards for teachers' professional development

This is the forum for participants of the 'PHONICS TRAINING ONLINE' course written by Debbie Hepplewhite. Participants are welcome to add their own comments. Debbie will contribute any relevant up-to-date findings, issues and developments. To find out about the course, go to: www.phonicstrainingonline.com .
debbie

DfE: Standards for teachers' professional development

Post by debbie »

Published July 2016 by the Department for Education in England, these statements illustrate the current state of play whereby professional development for teachers is taken very seriously as is any associated research and evidence:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... evelopment

Interestingly, increasingly schools are looking for ongoing consultancy and support. I provide this usually in two-day visits (for example, once a term for a year until the programme and practices are well-established) and I am always accessible via email as required.

I also provide Skype staff meetings as an alternative to more extensive visits. This is especially useful in the early days of implementing a new programme with new practices as practical questions may arise during this period.

I am not suggesting this is necessary, however, just that it indicates the level of serious interest of some schools in implementing new programmes and practice really well. Sometimes it is the case that staff turnover requires new training or lowering standards are indicating weaker implementation of a programme that has previously been very successful. That's one of the advantages of using the same tests or assessments year on year.
Debbie Hepplewhite