What does PI provide - implications for teacher prep time?

Any questions/comments/observations relating to the educational content of the programme can be posted here. Any 'technical' problems to the 'Technical Problems' forum please.

Moderators: admin, debbie

debbie

What does PI provide - implications for teacher prep time?

Post by debbie »

This is such a sensible question that I received from a headteacher, and it took quite a while to write a response, so I have copied and pasted the question and answer here:
Dear Debbie,

We are interested in your Synthetics phonics programme for our school (KS1 and KS2) and I am not sure what we get for the programme. Are there online resources, or are all the resources paper copies that need to be laminated? Also, are there powerpoints that you have made, so that is eases the preparation time teachers have to devote to the daily phonics lesson?
I look forward to your reply. Thanks.
Last edited by debbie on Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

My response:

Thank you for your interest in Phonics International.

PI will indeed provide for both Key Stages 1 and 2 – and it can be used very flexibly as it comprises of an extensive, systematic bank of resources – teaching resources, learning resources – and all designed to inform parents and work in partnership where at all possible.

The resources are provided as pdf resources – but many of these can simply be used by projecting them on to a screen – for example, for lesson introductions and for whole class activitiies.

The rationale of the programme, however, is that there are essential resources and activities which I suggest really need to be paper-based, permanent resources which ‘belong’ to each child providing a core bank of work-in-progress content and enabling engagement with ongoing assessment and progress.

This overarching rationale is described in this document – available via a big pink button on the PI hompage:

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/how2.pdf

Thus, it is not the acquistion of the PI licence that is an issue, it is factoring in the provision of phonics folders (e.g. ring binders) and the printing or photocopying of the ‘essential’ core material.

I hope that schools can see the huge benefits, however, of this foundational material (for reading and spelling) being focused ‘per learner’.

I wrote a description of why I think this is an essential component/practice of basic literacy skills via the pdf below – and also why many schools are not reaching the standards, per child, that they could reach because they have turned away from the most fit-for-purpose and content-rich resources/practices – see here:

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/Set ... folder.pdf

In terms of ease of preparation, the systematic content is provided for teachers – and my preferred rationale is avoiding complex homogenous grouping although of course within each class there will be a range of ability. All the children will inevitably access the resources according to their own needs and stage of learning – but they still all need sufficient appropriate content to enable their own practice.

Initially, teachers can simply project any introductory material on the screen and, over time when teachers are more familiar with the range of what is available, and what they prefer for their lesson introductions etc, they may well decide to laminate some material (or put it quickly and cheaply into plastic sleeves), and build up banks of materials in some form of hard copy if preferred.

PI is also fantastic for any intervention purposes whatsoever and resources described as ‘posters’ for example, can be printed off in smaller versions to really enrich pupils’ personal folders and provide the constant visual support that will help them put information into long-term memory. Also, the paper-based resources enable instant revision and review opportunities with the right kind of content - (not just ‘code’, but word, sentence and text level cumulative material).

The range of resources can be seen in the link below although there are some additional resources not yet added onto this link as I continue to develop the programme for different contexts (for example, addressing the Phonics Screening Check):

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/Wha ... rovide.pdf

I will not pretend that there isn’t a requirement for teachers to spend time understanding the PI programme and assimilating what is available, and also being prepared to pay heed to the main guidance and teaching principles if possible, but I have done my best to try to support teachers (and this includes teaching assistants) with the documents above, and training is available in different formats – including the latest online training provision if that is people’s preference for those who require or seek it.

I am also always at the end of an email or phone for additional suggestions/support as required.

Warmest regards,

Debbie
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I forgot to add that there are audio-visual resources to introduce the sounds of speech and exemplify them, in spoken words and printed words of some of the spelling alternatives, with accompanying pictures, in Units 1 to 6 of Phonics International.

:?
Debbie Hepplewhite