Addressing worries about 'phonetically plausible spelling'

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Addressing worries about 'phonetically plausible spelling'

Post by debbie »

I myself have grave worries about embedded 'phonetically plausible spellings' or some describe these as 'phonically plausible spellings' - but what they are in reality could be described as 'invented spellings'.

Currently, teachers are likely to introduce the letter/s-sound correspondences of the English alphabetic code one by one - in a very 'linear' fashion.

Systematic synthetic phonics teaching starts off by teaching a 'simple code' whereby all the 'sounds' of speech are introduced one by one in a special order - and mainly one spelling for each sound. Thus, children can spend a long time happily writing with their skill of 'sound to print' for spelling - but with invented spellings (as they only know one way to spell the sounds) and teachers do not necessarily have a strategy to address this - or teachers may even think that they SHOULD NOT address this.

Well - I don't agree with this - and I have a different approach which I touch upon in my comment on this blog posting by Anna (and thank you to Anna for her very kind comments about the researchEd talks in April 2015):

http://staffrm.io/@eyfsedu/yu3NNZulBx

Please note Tarjinder's worries about spelling and my response.
Debbie Hepplewhite