Professional Development for Nurseries and Infant schools

Forum for 'Teeny Reading Seeds' and the 'Early Years Starter Package'
debbie

Professional Development for Nurseries and Infant schools

Post by debbie »

Interestingly, there has been a growing call for consultancy days in Nurseries as, here in England, pressure is being placed on Nurseries to provide for early phonics.

So, Nursery personnel are concerned to know what that phonics provision could 'look like' and what is appropriate for the three to four year olds.

There are alternative approaches to consider for Nursery - but as important as 'what could be provided' is 'what should (arguably) NOT be provided'.

There are also a lot of what I call 'myths' or 'misunderstandings' regarding provision for Nursery children - some low expectations and some flawed ideas. These are all worth discussing.

Very often I am told that I suggest ideas that are opposite to the advice by other advisors.

Good - that enables people to consider different points of view and experiences - and then they can make their own minds up.

What matters is that people have 'open minds' and that they are good observers and that they are prepared to explore what is possible with good simple, straightforward teaching and practices and provision.
Debbie Hepplewhite