Talk about anything you like!

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Talk about anything you like!

Post by debbie »

As so much of my time is spent on the internet, I am very keen on promoting the use of internet forums as a great form of communication and for the sharing of information.

I must admit to feeling disappointed, however, that not many people have ventured forth onto the Phonics International message forum as yet.

Many visitors to this website and my www.syntheticphonics.com website actually email me privately with queries or information - or just to stay in touch and let me know how they are getting on in their schools or with their children.

Lately I have been commenting about my disappointment to some of these people. Several of them replied that they don't feel able to contribute to the Phonics International forum because they haven't yet used the programme or haven't used it long enough - or simply don't have any 'queries' for me to answer!

I am also aware that many people are simply more comfortable to be 'readers' rather than contributors.

Added to that - the reading debate is very, very contentious in some quarters and there are quite a few people who promote synthetic phonics 'behind the scenes' but would not want that to be known in the public domain - yes - the teaching scenario is THAT bad in some places!

Well - I am trying a little experiment and so have started two additional forums on the PI message board. One is this 'informal chat' forum and the other is dedicated to ANY aspect about training.

It really doesn't matter if you fancy a chat about other issues than the teaching of reading - it's all in the interests of good international relationships.

Also - if you don't wish to be identifiable, just pick your own username! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi Debbie,

I am glad that you have started this new forum as, in the past, I have felt that what I posted/might have posted didn't really belong under the 'programme based questions' forum.

Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances, I have been/will be unable to post as often as I would otherwise wish to.

However, perhaps other teachers may be interested to hear about what I have begun doing recently in an effort to manage the childrens' sound book folders more efficiently, keeping parents/guardians up to date with how they can best help their child while ensuring continuity between home and school.

I am currently compiling 'homework' books for units 1-6 which I will staple into booklet form.

I intend to enclose a complete unit of work at a time in the PI folder. At a meeting I will explain to the parents/guardians that night 1 work involves revision and completion of the sounds book activity sheet based on the latest correspondence introduced at school, and night 2 is for follow up/consolidation work.

Hopefully this will cut down on the time it takes to photocopy and organise work each day- I can simply date the page to be done each night.

Unit 1 will have the sounds book activity sheets on the left hand side and (initially) a blank page opposite for the children to 'rainbow write' the letter - ie practise correct letter formation by tracing over the letter, using different coloured pencils/crayons.
Once they have been introduced to s/a/t , I will also include 2/3 cumulatively decodable words at the top of this page with instructions for some blending and segmenting exercises using grapheme cards.

Unit 2 will have a sounds book activity sheet on the right hand side and a partially lined page opposite with a cumulative wordlist and instructions for the child to sound out and blend to read and then instructions for the adult to hide the list and depending on ability the child writes or simply uses grapheme cards to segment and spell the words. The blank space below the lines can be used for further drawing and labelling.

Units 3 to 6 will made up of sound book activity sheets on the right hand page and a fully lined page with a cumulative wordlist at the top, similar instructions for unit 2 blending and segmenting work but then the children are encouraged to write a simple sentence containing the word on the lines below- again depending on ability. Should this prove too difficult the child will be encouraged to practise using the words in context orally, thus encouraging vocabulary development.

This is a work in progress and may be adapted as time goes on- I will report on our experience as the school year progresses.

Hope that makes sense!

Apologies for my unavoidable absence and well done for your consistant efforts to add additional practical and versatile resources and helpful suggestions as to how they may be used.

Kat
poppetsam

Post by poppetsam »

Hi guys!

Well, apart from extreme wedding planning... (I just can't believe that it is exactly a year away now!!) I've managed to have a little holiday on my mum and dad's canal boat; fully decorate and spring clean my house; celebrate the births of two new babies; (our best man-to-be had a boy called Georgie and our toastmaster-to-be/best buddy had a little girl called Lily-Rose) and purchase a very cute little car (as ours finally gave up on us after 5 years....it just happened to do this on a drive back from Yorkshire on the motorway!!) Over the past few months we've had a very close friend staying with us, as she went though a bad break up, and have finally ...just this evening.... as she left..... sat back on the sofa and said....."aaaahhh, time to relax!!" Only remembering that we have a wedding on Friday and are hosting a party at the weekend for our friend who has just started her own business!! Eeeek! Busy..... is not the word!

As for work, at the end of term - Ofsted called (we wondered why as we had them in July last year.....) and announced that they were coming in to do a thematic inspection! Also found out that there will be new staff in September and I will be teaching Reception!! Considering I've only taught Year 5 twice, Year 6, Year 4 and most recently Year 2...I was a little panicked! But....feeling rather excited now...especially having read that Debbie may be adding Early Years Resources!!

End of term was a little bit of a nightmare for many reasons....but thankfully - all is well now and I am looking forward to a nice glass of wine this evening whilst watching a lovely black and white film!!

September looks like a good start and I have been getting all of my Phonics International Resources ready for the great year ahead!!

How is everyone else!!??
x
debbie

Post by debbie »

It's really good to hear from both Kat and poppetsam! I know how busy everyone is and not everyone finds time to write on internet message forums regularly! Thank you for 'touching base' with us again.

Kat - your ideas sound great and you are certainly a thoroughly organised person. We look forward to hearing how you, the children and their parents get on with the homework routines. Will they make better progress, will they enjoy the routines - and will parents support their children?

poppetsam - how have you managed to juggle all those events and commitments? No wonder you haven't managed to visit us here for a while.

I am excited for you that you are going to have a Reception class next year. It's a key year for huge advances. You start the year thinking how very 'little' they are - and you end the year marvelling at their progress in every sense.

The year will fly by and then it will be 'The Wedding'. And then what next I wonder?

Have a great holiday! :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
poppetsam

Post by poppetsam »

Hi all....just popping back to say hi! :)

Still in wedding planning chaos and now....teaching Reception. Was my second day today and I loved it! Looking forward to getting my teach into them now!

x
poppetsam

Post by poppetsam »

Whoops...that was meant to say....'get my teach into it' meaning 'getting into the phonics programme'. I do not wish to eat the children. Sorry! eeek! xx