Eng: Gove calls for overhaul in prison education

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Eng: Gove calls for overhaul in prison education

Post by debbie »

This is an interesting and important issue highlighted via the National Literacy Trust site:

http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/news/67 ... _education
Ministry of Justice calls for overhaul in prison education

17 Jul 2015

In a speech today at the Prisoners Learning Alliance, Secretary of State for Justice Michael Gove, suggested that education in prisons should be overhauled, in order to reduce re-offending.

He suggested that prisoners who are committed to education and show changed attitudes to acquiring qualifications respected by employers could be allowed to leave prison early under an “earned release” scheme.

Gove highlighted that 47% of prisoners have no school qualifications at all, which compares to 15% of the working age general population.

He said: “In prisons there is a captive population whose inability to read properly or master basic mathematics makes them prime candidates for re-offending. Ensuring those offenders become literate and numerate makes them employable and thus contributors to society, not a problem for society."

Gove shared comments from the Chief Inspectors of Prisons who highlighted earlier this week that “purposeful activity outcomes were only good or reasonably good in 25% of the adult male prisons inspected.”
Sadly, there is no-one that I'm aware of trialling the use of Phonics International within the prison system and yet the online medium and my 'two-pronged systematic and incidental phonics teaching approach' could be a very suitable medium indeed (all things considered) in a prison context.

If anyone has any links with prison authorities, please do let me know and we'll see if interest can be gained in using Phonics International as required and appropriate.
Debbie Hepplewhite