Books for confident readers 5 years and up...

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Books for confident readers 5 years and up...

Post by debbie »

Some thoughts and suggestions re reading material for confident readers via the 'Miscellaneous Twitterings' blog:

https://miscellaneouswitterings.wordpre ... rs-and-up/
Books for confident readers, 5 yrs and up

Posted on June 27, 2015

[Disclaimer: this post is not a value judgement on children from whatever circumstances who are not reading at this level at this age. It’s not that children should be doing this, it’s just that these ones are; this is just a response to my own experience of trying to find the right level of book for a number of children aged 5-6 over the past year, and, through that process, finding that modern books for children seem much easier than books aimed at the same ages in the past. I’m also trying to find my way to books they might read once they’re in Year 2 (and 3).]

Children who are confident readers at a young age have probably always tended to find that the books that are written for their age group are way too easy and therefore dull, while the books that actually get their minds working are too old for them from the point of view of emotional maturity.
Debbie Hepplewhite