video footage: How the brain learns to read

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

video footage: How the brain learns to read

Post by debbie »

Thanks to Alison Clarke (via her 'spelfabet' site) for providing an easy-to-read description of Stanislas's work:

http://www.spelfabet.com.au/2015/05/how ... s-to-read/
How the brain learns to read

I've just found a great 20-minute talk on YouTube by Stanislas Dehaene, a French cognitive neuroscientist, called "How the brain learns to read". He wrote a classic book called "Learning in the Brain" that I occasionally reread bits of when I want to feel wholly inadequate.

"Neuro" language is often used to make questionable or worse programs and products seem more scientific and impressive, but the things Dehaene says in this video are straightforward and consistent with the classroom research on how to teach literacy fast and well. So I hope his pictures of brains don't put anyone off, he's not selling anything or trying to get anyone to suspend their critical faculties.

I'll embed the link to the video here, and then summarise his main points below.
Debbie Hepplewhite