Phonics International Forum Index Phonics International
an International Online Synthetic Phonics Programme

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handwriting in the Time of Common Core

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phonics International Forum Index -> Handwriting - Share your questions and progress.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Handwriting in the Time of Common Core Reply with quote

Well - everyone knows how important I think handwriting is in multiple ways - so I don't need persuading!

'Handwriting in time of the common core' via the ''Shanahan on Literacy' blog:

http://www.shanahanonliteracy.com/2014/09/handwriting-in-time-of-common-core.html

Quote:
Sunday, September 21, 2014

Handwriting in the Time of Common Core

My father, who had no more than an eighth grade education, wrote in a beautiful Palmer hand. His one-room schoolhouse education did not promise to take him far, but it did allow him to place words on paper in an elegant and readable manner. And, this skill had practical utility beyond its aesthetic beauty, since he worked for many years as a bookkeeper.

But the public value of handwriting has diminished during the ensuing century. In fact, the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) donít even mention handwriting, cursive, or manuscript printing.

Nevertheless, It is evident that the standards writers expect kids to learn some form of theseósince the standards explicitly call for students to engage in written composition; and this would be hard to do if one had no way of getting words on paper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phonics International Forum Index -> Handwriting - Share your questions and progress. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: