The problems with 'discovery learning' - brilliant pieces!

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Post by debbie »

Harry Webb again with:

What's the harm in knowing your times-tables?

http://websofsubstance.wordpress.com/20 ... es-tables/
Instead, school maths for me was all about completing School Maths Project (SMP) cards at my own pace. This meant that I had virtually no explicit instruction except for what was on the cards. And this is where my mum came in. She was there to show me how to do long division and she was there again to explain how to rearrange equations. It is not hard to see why parental background has such an impact on students in these situations.

But back to the tables. Was it worth learning them? Was this traditional chanting strategy a good one?
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Thanks to Jim Curran for flagging up this excellent article in the 'American Educator' from 2006 and, of course, which remains totally topical (see the Reading Reform Foundation message forum at www.rrf.org.uk for many topical threads):

http://www.aft.org/pdfs/americaneducato ... Neuman.pdf
How We Neglect Knowledge— and Why

By Susan B. Neuman

Several years ago, in collaboration with Kathy Roskos, I was studying the ef- fects of a literacy-related activity that made use of a pretend “office” in a Head Start center (Neuman and Roskos, 1993). Using a task developed by Lomax and McGee (1987), I asked 4-year-old Terrell to identify several objects and to describe their use.
This brings to mind the scenario in England as it has evolved over the years about 'learning through play' and 'following children's interests' - fine if the children already have rich language and interests which they bring into the early years settings from their home environments - but not so fine when children have impoverished language and home-experiences.

In England, we went through a 'post-its' culture in our early years settings - by this I mean that adults were trained to use 'post-it' notes to provide evidence of their observations for each child in the various domains. This became a ludicrous, unnecessary (in my view), burdensome requirement and you were more likely to see the adults in an early years setting holding their clip boards taking notes whilst watching the children rather than interacting with the children themselves.

Our early years settings need to at least match the language-rich, knowledge-rich homes when we have the privilege of looking after other people's children - or we need to make up for the shortfall of language and experiences within our early years settings.

I was long-since concerned in England when the culture and ethos in England became dominated by formal observations and recording of children's activities - at the expense, it seemed to me, of putting in lots of rich experience and language.

My overarching view is that of course children need masses of play opportunities - but that they also need masses of adult input based on specific topics and themes and general language and conversations to model language.

Ironically, whilst I, and people with similar views to me, protested vociferously about the post-its culture in England, some early years professionals enjoyed the extra sense of 'professionalism' that this appeared to bring to the early years - and thrived on this regime.

It just goes to show that we are all different in our interpretation of our provision - and in the interpretation of the expectations placed upon us by different people in authority.

I would suggest that children's play is enriched by the level of language and knowledge - and skills - that we bring to children explicitly. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Andrew Old focuses on the topic of 'play' via his 'Scenes from the battleground' blog:

http://teachingbattleground.wordpress.c ... 8/07/play/
Play

August 7, 2014

I should have learnt from the experience described here, or from phonics denialists, that for a lot of tweeters and bloggers, the methods used in the teaching of younger children is not a subject open for debate or even the mildest form of questioning. I don’t really have any views on the details of early years teaching, and don’t really have much insight into what small children are like. I’ve so very little to say on the issue, and yet it’s really easy to lose a day on twitter just dealing with misrepresentations and attacks dealt towards anybody who is seen as questioning the orthodoxy. But I suppose I might as well state the grand sum of my views here; ask the questions that I am actually interested in, and then let it drop.

Let’s deal with my only real opinion on something to do with early years. Back in March of this year, Sir Michael Wilshaw wrote what seemed to be a fairly sensible letter pointing out that OFSTED did not require a particular method of teaching, even in early years, and instead said he expected “inspectors to apply common sense when observing how well children learn and how effectively adults teach children to develop skills, knowledge and understanding”. He made some pretty uncontentious (to an outsider) suggestions about looking into whether the early stages of maths and English were taught and whether children were being prepared for school. However, the response was intense.

A bunch of the usual suspects wrote a letter to the Telegraph describing this as a “Gradgrind for tiny tots”.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I wrote this piece back in 2004 (ten years ago at the time of this posting), and I have found it interesting to reflect on the subsequent developments in England.

In the recent 'Stoke-on-Trent' Ofsted report, for example, we can see phonics being encouraged not only in Reception but in Nursery, and comments are made that children should be able to sit at desks when they practise their handwriting. This is a far-cry from years of early years practitioners being persuaded to throw desks out of early years settings (by influential early years advisors)!

So, here are my thoughts about the status quo in the early years and Key Stage One some ten years ago during a regime when many early years advisors decried phonics teaching saying it was inappropriate and formal, when teachers had a humungous number of early learning goals to plan for, assess and formally evidence for each child which was a statistical and logistical nightmare - this helps to explain why the 'Final Report' (Sir Jim Rose, March 2006) was so important in defending the notion that phonics could be very child-friendly and engaging:

One impression of the state of play for teachers and children in the Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 – the dog’s dinner

http://www.rrf.org.uk/archive.php?n_ID= ... eNumber=52
Formal vs informal teaching

There is increasingly a climate of ‘bashing’ any activities traditionally associated with ‘formal’ education, including sitting down at tables, providing a table space for all children to be able to sit simultaneously, rehearsing handwriting with regular pencils, using worksheets, learning basic literacy skills such as phonics, copy-writing and recording.
And here is the 'Stoke-on-Trent' report to illustrate that the times have changed in many ways - phonics is firmly on the agenda and teachers are being prompted to allow children to sit at tables to write:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/read ... upils-read
* ensure that the correct letter formation is taught at the same time as the letter-sound and that pupils are taught to sit correctly at a table, holding a pencil comfortably and correctly
We have come a long way 'officially' since ten years ago - but the Stoke-on-Trent report shows that, in some schools, we still have further to go.

Great progress to date in so many ways, however. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

A good piece via the 'cazzypotsblog':
School – A place where creativity can flourish

Posted on August 20, 2014
http://cazzypotsblog.wordpress.com/2014 ... -flourish/
Under the current system, a varying amount of KS1 education (certainly in Reception and Y1) is devoted to play and discovery learning. Desks are usually arranged in mixed-ability groups – presumably to facilitate this. The national curriculum is followed, and there is a proportion of academic input, but I’m not certain whether it is necessarily given priority over the more ‘creative’ aspects of the curriculum, in all schools. By KS2 and above, there is undoubtably more of an academic focus – but is it enough? Some argue that it might be too much:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Good piece by Harry Webb via his 'Webs of Substance' blog:
Curriculum Matters

August 22, 2014

http://websofsubstance.wordpress.com/20 ... mment-5424
Instead, as passionate educators, we should be celebrating knowledge for its own sake. It is life-enhancing. It makes other knowledge more interesting. Knowledge frees the mind from its own biology and adds colour to the universe.

What makes us human? The ability to acquire and communicate knowledge and to pass this knowledge on to our children. This is what teachers do and this is what we should be celebrating in the school curriculum.
The readers' comments make a good contribution too. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

More from Harry Webb via his 'Webs of Substance' blog about discovery learning:
Inquiry

Posted on August 31, 2014 by Harry Webb

http://websofsubstance.wordpress.com/20 ... 1/inquiry/
The mushy middle

The current popularity of Inquiry seems to me to be the result of something of a compromise. For years, science teachers – particularly in the middle school years – have been exhorted to use discovery learning in class. The students are to behave like miniature scientists and use the scientific method to find things out for themselves with the priority being to understand this abstract method rather than the retention of any specific scientific knowledge. Such an approach has been rejected by pragmatic teachers as often as it has been asserted due to its obvious absurdity; students cannot independently discover all of the science that many great minds have worked together to establish over centuries, students find such an approach tedious and mundane (you can’t experiment on dinosaurs or planets and so you are left with work involving wet paper towels) and it leaves students underprepared for future study and totally unclear as to what such study would involve.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Fantastic posting by 'Quirky Teacher' - I added a comment:

http://thequirkyteacher.wordpress.com/2 ... omment-142

Progressive Teacher Training
I embarked on this course with pre-conceptions that were completely at odds with what was being taught on those tutorials. I thought that teaching consisted of telling kids how to do things (or helping them internalise some knowledge), letting them practise quietly via the use of a textbook, and then testing them regularly in order to update records. It’s actually quite funny how long it took before the penny dropped. It slowly dawned on me, mainly because I was getting a reputation for asking really awkward questions, that my thoughts on what teaching should be were, apparently, completely wrong. However, nothing could shake the gut feeling that something was not quite right, and I smelled a rat. I couldn’t work out what that rat was, so I started my own frustrating, but interesting, learning journey.
Debbie Hepplewhite