Phonics International Forum Index Phonics International
an International Online Synthetic Phonics Programme

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Close reading is close to a con...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phonics International Forum Index -> All sorts of articles, blogs, research and topics to stimulate debate!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Close reading is close to a con... Reply with quote

http://educationviews.org/close-reading-is-close-to-a-con/

I found this rather a refreshing article if I'm honest!

Quote:
A serious problem at this point is that more than half our fourth graders are not proficient readers. Same with our eighth-graders. You cannot expect these children to do “close reading” because they cannot, in any real sense of the word, do “reading.”

Let’s pause for a moment and consider what should be going on. Reading is like learning to ride a bike. You have to be on the bike for many hours, riding over streets, grass, and curbs, until you are comfortable and riding for pleasure.

Children in elementary and middle school need quantity, not quality. Schools should use every trick to seduce children into reading lots of books. Such books do not need depth. It’s enough that they have a good story or engaging information, and that children say, “That was fun. I want to read another one.”

I do think we are in danger of analysing authorial intent to death with our approach to young children and literature.

I confess to hating the deep analysis of text when I had 'literature' lessons at secondary school - and yet now I would appreciate more knowledgeable people than me discussing their understanding of meaningful literature.

But then, I'm... no, I won't bang on about my age! Suffice it to say you're never too old to learn! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phonics International Forum Index -> All sorts of articles, blogs, research and topics to stimulate debate! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: