Alphabetic code not on the Alphabetic Code Charts...

Any questions/comments/observations relating to the educational content of the programme can be posted here. Any 'technical' problems to the 'Technical Problems' forum please.

Moderators: admin, debbie

debbie

Alphabetic code not on the Alphabetic Code Charts...

Post by debbie »

I've just received this interesting question via email - a question which I address routinely in teacher-training as I don't want to give the impression that the 'entire' English alphabetic code is on the Phonics International Alphabetic Code Charts!
Hi Debbie,

I love the Alphabetic Code charts. One little question: why isn't double c (cc) there to represent the /k/ ?

Thank you
My answer:

Good question - there are other bits of code that aren't there too.

Simple solution, however, add it to your chart with a word example!

I've actually added a few extra graphemes to my latest alphabetic code charts - but this could go on and on with no end point!

Part of my teacher-training advice, however, is that when other bits of code are 'discovered', simply add them to the chart or quickly make an A4
poster to add to the main phonics display wall with the new grapheme and two or three common word examples.

Debbie
The response to this answer:
It is a good idea to have a chart that the children can add to - * * * * * * * one doesn't have all or anywhere to add to. This is fab!
:wink: :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

My further response:

It is a good method - part 'direct instruction' and part 'discovery learning'.

Honestly - if I put every bit of code on the chart, we'd all give up before we start!
There are many more letter/s-sound correspondences which could be added to an Alphabetic Code Chart - but the designer of such charts has to make a judgement call on what to include or not.

I've just designed some 'table top' Alphabetic Code Charts which we are making available both as pre-made 'hard copy' (card) charts and as pdf printable charts (coming soon).

On these latest charts I've added 'wh' as code for /h/ as in the word 'who'. I've also added 'u' as code for short /oo/ as in the word 'push'.

Sometimes, a letter/s-sound correspondence can be 'rare' but in a very common word. The examples above are of more rare code but in common words.

I often refer to the word 'giraffe'. In this word, the grapheme 'ffe' is code for the /f/ sound - but I haven't included it on my Alphabetic Code Charts.

This is such a rare grapheme in a very commonly 'known' word - but not necessarily a commonly 'used' word - whereas the words 'who' and 'push' have rare graphemes but they are commonly known and commonly used.

Quite frankly - these are judgement calls - but by noting that this is the case, and by encouraging parents or teachers to 'add' to the Alphabetic Code Chart as new graphemes are discovered, then this is a happy solution which works very well!
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

See www.alphabeticcodecharts.com for free downloadable Alphabetic Code Charts - I have recently added the International Phonetic Alphabet symbols (IPA) to some versions of the chart - not for the learners' use but for the information and training of adults. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
wherenow

Post by wherenow »

Just starting using the programme with two groups of two boys. The boys are around eleven years old and they enjoyed finding a grapheme that is not on the chart. The word was cough /k/ /o/ /f/

A favourite game at the moment is two boys standing in front of the chart and racing to find the graphemes in words. They were extra happy when they saw /f/ ugh was not there.
debbie

Post by debbie »

I'm really pleased to hear about the code you've discovered!

I would probably have broken 'cough' into the spelling alternatives c - ou - gh so that the letters 'gh' would be code for the /f/ sound which is already on the alphabetic code chart in the word 'laugh'.

Even with that decision, however, it leaves the letters 'ou' as code for the /o/ sound which is still 'discovered' code!

There is no reason why you cannot 'tally' the sounds you hear in the spoken word to the letters and letter groups of your own decision - especially if this leads to memory of the spelling of the actual word!!!!

Well done! :D
Debbie Hepplewhite