Early Years teaching in Wales - some concern...

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Early Years teaching in Wales - some concern...

Post by debbie »

I have asked permission to post this message on the forum. Only today I watched a heart-warming video on 'Teachers TV' about the Foundation Stage in Wales and so the question posed in this message below is very relevant. My understanding is that Wales has done a great deal to reduce the ratio between adults and children in the infant years at great expense. This is to be applauded. The prevailing ethos is the 'learning through play' ethos and my understanding is that this has been extended upto seven year olds. An extreme approach to 'learning through play', however, can be to the detriment of some children and, in my experience, many children just love more focused teaching and learning opportunities - contrary to the belief of many.

When it comes to the teaching of reading and spelling, this may well be a concern. Many children will not be served well if they are not taught by a synthetic phonics approach from around five. Many children will start to 'pick up' how to read and write from exposure to all sorts of literature and literacy activities - rather than be taught by the best evidence-based methods. The result might be that the children's diet is closer to 'mixed methods' or 'whole language' where various reading strategies are promoted, or resorted to, - most of which amount to guessing words from multi-cueing. Some children will be fine by this approach - others will end up with special needs in literacy.
Dear Debbie,
I have just finished a Btec in supporting teaching and learning, level 3. The teacher introduced us to your phonics programme and it has proved to be inspirational. I now realize that the school that I work in uses all of the other methods you describe eg, guessing from picture clues etc. I can see that these strategies are not working for all children. I had already taught my 5 year old daughter the sounds of letters and the sound for /sh/ etc before she started Rec and I was struggling to be able to help her any further. I feel your ideas are a revelation and am trying to teach them to her already. I wish I had been given them earlier because a school year has been wasted with regards to her reading. My problem is how do I tackle the subject with the school. I am in an awkward position because I am not a teacher. I think they will see it as a criticism.

I know synthetic phonics would be hugely beneficial. Do you know if any schools in Wales use this method and is it encouraged within the Foundation Phase that we have in Wales? I know you are extremely busy but you advice would be greatly appreciated.
Debbie Hepplewhite