New mnemonic OPTIONAL ACTIONS available to trial

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

New mnemonic OPTIONAL ACTIONS available to trial

Post by debbie »

This new OPTIONAL ACTIONS resource is designed only for young beginners at the very beginning stages of learning letter/s-sound correspondences. Actions are available for STAGE ONE of the PI programme which is Units 1 to 5.

The OPTIONAL ACTIONS resource has been designed at the request of existing users of Phonics International who are already very pleased with results but who like the notion of engaging very young beginners with their learning through 'actions'.

Unfortunately, teachers and parents sometimes become over-enthusiastic themselves about 'fun' mnemonic systems - and the 'hook' of these can become the dominant feature of lessons rather than on the focus of putting the learning of letter/s-sound correspondences to use in reading and writing activities.

This is a matter of training and awareness - and so I must strongly emphasise that it is the MAIN TEACHING OBJECTIVE which must be born in mind at all times:

That is - Learning letter/s-sound correspondences to automaticity and putting these to use for reading, spelling and writing.

Any mnemonic system is therefore a means to an end, and must not become an end in itself.

With this caution in mind, I do welcome people in early years settings to approach me for the web address for the new mnemonic OPTIONAL ACTIONS for trialling!

Please approach me via debbie@phonicsinternational.com for your web link.

Please note: Whilst actions to teach alphabetic code knowledge may be effective for most young learners, they may be too abstract for learners on the autism spectrum.
Debbie Hepplewhite