I CAN READ texts - Full colour illustrations and word banks

News about new material, amended material and future planned material
debbie

I CAN READ texts - Full colour illustrations and word banks

Post by debbie »

I am really pleased to announce the uploading of these latest resources. We have started with unit 7 - look at the bottom of the unit 7 webpage. My thanks go to Arun, our illustrator, who has worked hard for quite a while to catch the essence of the I CAN READ storylines.

PICTURES AND WORD BANKS - AIDS TO MEMORY

Ultimately, for spelling purposes, learners need to hold in long term memory the knowledge of ‘which words’ are spelt with ‘which spelling alternatives’. When learners are younger or new to reading and spelling in the English language, they can only be expected to remember just a few words with certain spelling patterns. As learners mature and read and write more widely, for spelling they need to build bigger and bigger ‘word banks’ of specific spelling patterns - and these word banks need to be in long term memory.

‘I CAN READ’ STORYLINES - FULL COLOUR ILLUSTRATIONS
Use these illustrations only after the ‘I CAN READ’ texts have been read by the learners so that the pictures are not used as ‘clues’ for the words. Add these illustrations to the main wall display area to help learners become familiar with the storylines so that they can memorise the words with the specific spelling patterns associated with each storyline.

‘I CAN READ’ STORYLINES - BLACK AND WHITE PICTURES WITH WORD BANKS These provide activities for learners to do to help them recall spelling word banks. Learners can label and colour the pictures and do ‘memory’ activities. Read the words, spell and write the words - then ‘remember’ which specific words are in the word banks. Play ‘memory games’ revisiting storylines and their associated word banks.

ADVANCED WORD BANKS (to be added)For older and more advanced learners to read, spell and write - then ‘recall’ as many words as possible. Learn the ‘meaning’ of the words using a dictionary where necessary. Write the words in sentences to help learn their meaning and to help embed in memory the lists of specific words and their spelling patterns.

These final advanced word banks will take more time to complete. Not all spelling alternatives will require this additional resource where the spelling alternative word bank is already addressed via the resource above.
Last edited by debbie on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Unit 8 now uploaded. :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Unit 9 now uploaded. Do have a look! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

Units 10, 11 and 12 now uploaded.

:D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/uni ... mbined.pdf

Unit 1 full colour pictures now uploaded. See link above.

The guidance for use is on the unit 1 webpage - towards the bottom of the page.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/uni ... mbined.pdf

Unit 1 black and white pictures with word lists.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

‘I CAN READ’ STORYLINES - FULL COLOUR ILLUSTRATIONS

‘I CAN READ’ STORYLINES - BLACK AND WHITE PICTURES WITH WORD BANKS

We have just uploaded the above resources in units 2, 3 and 4.

In these earlier units, the word banks in the BLACK AND WHITE PICTURES WITH WORD BANKS are not based on specific spellings, but consist of the main words from the 'I CAN READ' texts. They can be used to practise reading words out of context with increasing speed and fluency.

Please note that it is particularly important that beginner readers and slower-to-learn readers get the chance to read words repeatedly and in different contexts.

Generally, even where teachers may introduce new learning in lessons (of any subject), very often the learners themselves have insufficient time to absorb and consolidate the learning - and this includes whether that learning is about alphabetic code knowledge or the three skills of blending, segmenting and handwriting. :cry:

It is very important, therefore, that schools truly provide plenty of opportunities for learners to 'learn' new information and to practise any requisite skills. :wink:

I may be saying 'the obvious' but, sadly, I am sure this observation is largely the reality in many cases - and at least for some learners. :?
Debbie Hepplewhite