Diary blog for teaching a Reception class and a Year 2 class

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Diary blog for teaching a Reception class and a Year 2 class

Post by debbie »

Starting 24th September 2008, read about one example of starting the Phonics International programme with a Reception class in England (four to five year olds).

Starting also, one example of using the PI resources mainly as a spelling programme for a Year Two cohort in an English school.

I'll post these experiences on the Phonics International 'blog' (see link on the homepage) and I'll link it to the message board as well.

I can only encourage others using the Phonics International programme in different scenarios to post their experiences on the message board and/or the blog for others to share and gain ideas.
Last edited by debbie on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I'm not going to start the 'blog' entry today as promised yesterday - sorry! :oops:

I have, however, made some progress regarding supporting parents and teachers with beginning reading instruction for youngsters.

I've decided to add the GRAPHEME TILES resource for units 1 - 6 to the Early Years Starter Package - along with suggestions for use.

This is because I am going to describe the basis of introducing the phonics teaching in a Reception class using the Early Years Starter Package resources where the GRAPHEME TILES from the full PI programme are also being used in several ways by the teacher and the children in class.

As I am going to use the Reception teacher's practice as an example of a good teaching model, it seemed only fair that I include the GRAPHEME TILES she uses in the Early Years Starter Package.

Having said that, the teacher uses other Phonics International material as well but I did feel the GRAPHEME TILES are pretty key as beginners' :D multi-purpose kinaesthetic manipulatives.

So, people who have bought the Early Years Starter Package already will soon find a 'bonus' resource in it! :D
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

The GRAPHEMES TILES SHEETS (singles and multiples) are being uploaded as I write. This strand will also include a SUGGESTIONS FOR USE leaflet.

I have also made LOWER CASE Alphabetic Code Flash Cards and for the single alphabet letters I have made CAPITALS AND LOWER CASE Alphabetic Code Flash Cards.

These are the same size as the original A5 ALPHABETIC CODE FRIEZE POSTERS (which double up as FLASH CARDS).

The idea is that at first the teacher uses the FLASH CARDS with the cue pictures and then when the children are familiar with the graphemes, the FLASH CARDS with the cue pictures are 'replaced by' the FLASH CARDS without the pictures.

This is a very child-friendly way of introducing the letter/s-sound correspondences. It engages the learner with a sense of achievement that they are actually saying the sounds in response to the Flash Cards with a view to learning them without the need for picture mnemonics.

They can understand the PROGRESSION! :wink:

These additional FLASH CARDS will be uploaded shortly.

I intend to raise the price of the Early Years Starter Package shortly with the addition of these extra resources. I will ensure that the EARLY YEARS STARTER PACKAGE is still exceptional value.

If anyone intends to invest in the Early Years Starter Package and does so before the price increase, they will benefit from the additional resources at the current price of £15.

Anyone who has already purchased the Early Years Starter Package will find the additional resources included on their download page for no extra charge.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

See the thread 'How our school is using Phonics International...' for some descriptions of using the resources.
Debbie Hepplewhite
debbie

Post by debbie »

I never did complete a 'diary' approach on this thread! :oops:

The Early Years Starter Package, however, has grown in leaps and bounds. It now has 'Simple Sentences' and 'Booklets' (instructional decodable text)making it like a programme within a programme!

We've also started a 'work sample' facility on the PI website which you can access from the left hand menu bar - below all the 'unit' buttons!

http://www.phonicsinternational.com/Sou ... ged-4.html

I'm very mindful, however, of supporting teachers and parents step by step in using the programme's resources.

Here is the irony: - In producing so many step by step resources for people, this is being interpreted as being too much to 'take on board'.

Please don't allow yourself to feel like this. The synthetic phonics teaching principles are so very simple - teach the phoneme-level units of letter/s-sound correspondences (that is, letters and letter groups which are code for the 'sounds' of the English language) and then teach the three skills of: 1)blending all-through-the-printed-word for reading, 2) segmenting all-through-the-spoken-word for spelling (and know the letters or letter groups for those sounds) and 3) handwriting.

Use cumulative words, sentences and text level material as the alphabetic code knowledge and skills of the learners improve.

More scans to follow.

I know people are busy but please send us some scans of learners using the resources if you can find the time! :wink:
Debbie Hepplewhite