3 live webinars for teachers in Scotland + 1 'mop up' event

This forum is open for anyone to add their experiences, queries and to describe their training needs. Please feel free to use this forum for anything at all to do with training.
debbie

3 live webinars for teachers in Scotland + 1 'mop up' event

Post by debbie »

In response to friend and fellow literacy trainer, Anne Glennie, I provided three live webinars of one and half hours each for teachers in Scotland based on the Phonics International programme.

Anne Glennie co-hosted and we had over 50 people sign up for the series of events. The cost was £25 + VAT for the training plus the annual licence for the Phonics International programme was included - thus the training cost only £5 in effect.

A few people missed one of the sessions so Anne and I provided a 'mop up' session to revise or fill in any of the content required.

I would say Anne's idea and the four sessions in total were really successful - I do hope so.

A few days after the 'mop up' (gratis) session, I received this very exciting message from one of the participants - how heartwarming is this....

Dear Debbie

Thank you for running the mop up session for Phonics International training this week. I had been really disappointed to miss the week before and was relieved I could catch up. It was really helpful to go back over the teaching from the other sessions too. I appreciated the opportunity to revise and re-learn a few things.

I had a meeting with my head teacher about next term and the end result was that I will now be teaching phonics using Phonics International and I will also be setting the homework for Spelling. So no more active learning routines in this classroom!

Aside from the course being most useful in providing a rigorous well-structured practice for teaching phonics, I was really encouraged by so many of the things that you said. I had come to similar conclusions about spelling, reading and writing and how it is taught. It felt lonely at times and I was wondering how to best articulate my frustration with continued practice that clearly doesn’t work. You have given me a boost of support to move forward with a plan that I believe will make a difference.

Progress! :D
Debbie Hepplewhite