David Didau: Trust, accountability & why we need them bo

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

David Didau: Trust, accountability & why we need them bo

Post by debbie »

David Didau writes thoughtfully on 'trust versus accountability' via his 'The Learning Spy' blog - and there are some interesting 'readers' comments' in response - including mine!

http://www.learningspy.co.uk/leadership ... ntability/

David writes (but do read his whole post):
Trust, accountability and why we need them both

April 29, 2015

I’ve been thinking a lot about trust in recent months – particularly because it seems a commodity in such short supply. If, my optimistic thinking went, teachers were trusted to do a good job, then they probably would. But, of course, there’s always that nagging concern that some wouldn’t. This got me thinking about why people – and specifically teachers – are trustworthy or not. Is it down to an inherent goodness? Are some people just naturally more dedicated and professional, or could it be that we’re good because of the consequences of not being good?

The conclusion I’ve arrived at is that people are only as good as we expect them to be. Trust may be vital in getting the best out of teachers, but so, it turns out, is accountability.

Superficially, it might look as if accountability processes are contrary to trust.
And I get on my hobby-horse about 'upwards accountability' which I think is missing in the teaching profession:
One thing that appears to be missing in the ‘accountability’ model is an official, professional ‘upwards accountability’ option.

Those in authority who dish out the guidance, instructions, policies or whatever, cannot be reasonably held to account.

If the guidance/instructions/methods are not readily doable, or not justifiable to teachers – there will be negative consequences of all sorts of descriptions.

You already have one example above of a teacher actually leaving the profession following unreasonable demands and a joy-less context.

You refer to the marking issue. One result of over-demanding regimes for marking that do not take into account the time this takes measured against any apparent advantages, is that teachers may minimise the marking requirement by avoiding work on paper and in books. Or, if on paper, the paper can discretely end up in the bin – and I am personally appalled by the over-use and mis-use of mini whiteboards which, of course, reduces the need for marking but also reduces the evidence of learners’ practice and progress.

If we had an ‘upwards accountability system’ whereby people were encouraged and allowed to provide their professional views and findings related to guidance/orders/policies/practices pushed ‘downwards’, then we might get a great deal more practical and doable common sense in our school systems.

In other words, TRUST the teaching profession to be able to REVIEW regimes and to comment professionally on them.

Now, we have nothing but misery, distrust, frustration – and teachers, and headteachers, leaving the profession precisely because they believe, they perceive – or actually – they DON’T – really have a voice. And all accountability measures and procedures seem to be downwards do they not?
Debbie Hepplewhite