Phonics International Forum Index Phonics International
an International Online Synthetic Phonics Programme

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Secondary school-age: Reading for Learning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phonics International Forum Index -> All sorts of articles, blogs, research and topics to stimulate debate!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Secondary school-age: Reading for Learning Reply with quote

Heartfelt concern for secondary-aged pupils who cannot learn well enough if they cannot read accurately and fluently via the 'Reading for Learning' blog:

http://readingforlearning.wordpress.com

Quote:
What Part Donít You Get? Part 2

14/08/2014

In my last blog, I wrote about the four reasons why many of my secondary students couldnít learn science through reading. The four principal reasons were fluency and accuracy, general vocabulary, science knowledge and the style that science texts are written in.

In this blog, I describe what I have learnt from my primary colleagues about assessing reading. There is no substitute for a 1:1 read out loud. Try it with you best readers and your worst. The four obstacles can be identified quickly and easily.

1: In a 1:1 read aloud, you will know in a minute if your reader is fluent and reading accurately. It isnít always who you expect. Some pupils who are very articulate and insightful verbally, struggle with reading. They will find it difficult to progress unless they continue to practise reading in your subject.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phonics International Forum Index -> All sorts of articles, blogs, research and topics to stimulate debate! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: