Secondary school-age: Reading for Learning

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
debbie

Secondary school-age: Reading for Learning

Post by debbie »

Heartfelt concern for secondary-aged pupils who cannot learn well enough if they cannot read accurately and fluently via the 'Reading for Learning' blog:

http://readingforlearning.wordpress.com
What Part Don’t You Get? Part 2

14/08/2014

In my last blog, I wrote about the four reasons why many of my secondary students couldn’t learn science through reading. The four principal reasons were fluency and accuracy, general vocabulary, science knowledge and the style that science texts are written in.

In this blog, I describe what I have learnt from my primary colleagues about assessing reading. There is no substitute for a 1:1 read out loud. Try it with you best readers and your worst. The four obstacles can be identified quickly and easily.

1: In a 1:1 read aloud, you will know in a minute if your reader is fluent and reading accurately. It isn’t always who you expect. Some pupils who are very articulate and insightful verbally, struggle with reading. They will find it difficult to progress unless they continue to practise reading in your subject.
Debbie Hepplewhite