Grammar Books Recommendation

Whether or not you are using the Phonics International Programme, feel free to visit this informal 'Chat' forum!
Here you will find all sorts of interesting articles, links to research and developments - and various interesting topics! Do join in!
abby

Grammar Books Recommendation

Post by abby »

Hi Debbie,

Just wondering aside from Jolly phonics grammar are there any other books you'd recommend to help teach grammar to children.

many thanks

abby
debbie

Post by debbie »

Good question - and the age of the learners needs to be taken into account.

I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

One thing I do suggest for those teachers who know of the 'Letters and Sounds' publication is that the notion of 'Phase Six' following after 'Phase Five' (which equates to the teaching and learning of a comprehensive alphabetic code - for example, as shown on my full Alphabetic Code Charts) is totally flawed.

We need to start teaching about aspects of grammar right from Reception (four to five year olds in England) as the need arises not only within the phonics programme but with wider reading and writing.

Natural language includes words with prefixes, suffixes, verb endings, plural endings, multi-syllable words, the opportunity to introduce spelling rules or tendencies - so whenever reading and writing is involved.

These aspects of language need to be taught over and over as required from four years old (if the four year old is being taught to read).
Debbie Hepplewhite